Possession of Fake ID
We all know someone who has or had a fake ID at some point in their life. While Fake IDs seem to be a commonly used method for people under 21 to purchase alcohol, possession of a fake ID is illegal. Specifically, the law describes that it is illegal to do the following:
- To display or cause or permit to be displayed or have in your possession any canceled, revoked, suspended or fraudulently altered driver’s license or personal identification card; or
- lend your driver’s or personal identification card to another person or knowingly permit the use of it by another; or
- to display or represent as your own driver’s license or personal identification card any driver’s license acquired illegally under this law; or
- to fail or refuse to surrender to the Department of Motor Vehicles upon lawful demand any driver’s license which has been suspended, canceled or revoked; or
- to use a false or fictitious name in any application for a driver’s license or personal identification card or knowingly make a false statement or to knowingly conceal a material fact or otherwise commit a fraud in any such application; or
- to permit any unlawful use of a driver’s license or personal identification card issued to you.
If the court finds you guilty of committing any of the above acts, you may be charged with a misdemeanor and a penalty of up to 30 days in county jail, or up to 6 months in jail for a second or subsequent offense. Contact us onlineor call us at (803) 220-0956 to schedule your free consultation and learn how we can provide the relentless defense you need to help combat your charge!